My Blog List

Friday, October 8, 2010

Artist Repetition Assignment

Lecture Assignment: Repitition in Art

Abstract Expressionism

Artist: Lee Krasner
Title: Night Creatures, 1965

For this composition, the dominating elements definitely have to be form, line and shape. As for the spectrum, I'd say it lies more on the chaotic side with the fierce brush strokes and the forms that are made to look like eyes and demented shapes. Honestly, for me, looking at this painting too long gives me a feeling of disorientation, which I suppose could be a success on the artist's part if she wanted to convey repetition.

Artist: Lee Krasner
Title: Gothic Landscape, 1961

In this one, I think the elements present are shape and line. This piece also seems to be more on the chaotic side, since it seems thats what the artist is determined to convey in each of her works. This one seems to grab and hold my attention a lot more. Since the shapes are a little more spaced out I can spend more time admiring the repetition and forms used in the composition.


Artist: Norman Bluhm
Title: Lava, 1958

Primary element: color. I'd say this piece of art is pretty balanced on the harmony/chaos spectrum, possibly leaning more toward chaotic because they're aren't any lines to control the rampant color throughout it. I really like this one, because color, to me, conveys a lot more emotion than one black and white painting. The repetition of the different colors really catches my eye.






Artist: Norman Bluhm
Title: End of the Trail, 1956

Primary elements: color and line. This one is certainly more on the harmony side, and its not as chaotic as the previous ones because there are no shapes that keep your eye moving, even though the repetition is still present. This piece is a little boring at first, but it slowly grows in interest as you start to see the different colored lines stretching throughout it, particularly toward the edges.





Minimalism

Artist: Sol LeWitt
Title: Wavy Lines with Black Border, 2004

Primary elements: line and color. This piece focuses on the harmony side of the spectrum, I think. The lines are wavy, but placed in such a way with the colors that there is a sense of order in the artwork. I particularly like this one, just because the varying colors interacting with each other generate some interest, like you're trying to figure out where the lines intersect and move to.

Artist: Sol DeWitt
Title: Open Geometric Structure, 1991

Primary elements: line and shape. Once again, on the harmony side, definitely, since no evidence of the chaotic element is present in a perfect geometric structure. This artwork is really simple and wouldn't hold the attention of much, but it seems to show repetition good enough with the repeating of the cube form.






Artist: Jo Baer
Title: Ohne Titel, 1966-70

Primary element: shape. Once again showing harmony, which I think most minimalist artists show in their work. This piece seems to demonstrate the very core of minimalism. It might not be of much interest to me, but to a fan of the movement, they might love it.





Artist: Jo Baer
Title: Cardinations, 1974

Primary elements: line and shape. This ones a little bit in between harmony and chaos. Since each figure is different, it doesn't demonstrate the normal version of repetition, but gives you the feeling that they were made to be together. I like this one a lot better than the previous, because it prompts you to examine each form to see how they differ from each other.



Post-Minimalism

Artist: Joel Shapiro
Title: Untitled, 1990

Primary element: shape. Harmony side of the spectrum, just by the simple shape of the structure. From my view, it looks like a running man, and it's hard for me not to imagine, if I was seeing it in person, for it to start to move.









Artist: Joel Shapiro
Title: Untitled, 2002-2007


Primary element: shape. More on the chaotic side of the spectrum, since it doesn't seem to be a piece of representational art, though it factors more into the repetition category than the previous one. Since its nonrepresentational, I can see why it would grab more people's attention, but I find that the previous artwork held my attention better.

Artist: Richard Wentworth
Title: Baton, 2000

Primary element: shape. A balanced piece between harmony and chaos. Although cut through the middle, the dishware still resembles a sense of elegance, which keeps it in the middle when otherwise any other object cut in half would show chaos. This was a rather interesting approach to art, and that's what seems to keep me interested when viewing this, especially since it also shows reptition.

Artist: Richard Wentworth
Title: Untitled

Primary elements: shape and space. Leaning toward harmony on the harmony/chaos spectrum. This definitely catches my eye, because I've never seen anything quite like it before.






Today's Artists

Artist: Kazuya Akimoto
Title: Blue Bars, 2003

Primary elements: color and line. There seems to be a balance of harmony and chaos here. The harmony from the curved lines, and the chaos from the cool colors. When seen as a repetition piece, it seems to have a lot more value when trying to show the different colors and notice the repeating of the line and mood.








Artist: Kazuya Akimoto
Title: Divided Flames, 2003

Primary elements: color and shape. Another balanced piece, with the lines on the outside of the fierce red colors containing the chaos that would otherwise run rampant throughout it. I am also a fan of this, though the color is what seems to draw me in more than the actual repetition.


Artist: Yayoi Kazuma
Title: Sould Under the Moon, 2002

Primary elements: shape, space and color. This artwork seems to be a little on the chaotic side, but it has its share as harmony as well, like how the spheres are spaced out. I love this one. I can't tell for sure whether its a piece of art or a blacked out room with glowing orbs, but it grabs my attention by its color and repetition immediately.


Artist: Yayoi Kazuma
Title Ladder to Heaven, 2002

Primary elements: space and line. Particularly by the title, I think this one settles nicely into the harmony category, since there seems to be no chaotic characteristics at all. I would love to see this one in person. Even now, the overwhelming desire to climb it constantly irritates me as I look at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment